We are recruiting up to three new trustees, encouraging applications from those with a legal background; with an entrepreneurial/commercial background; or with experience of marketing, communications, branding and advertising.
|Accountable to:||Chair of the Board of Trustees|
|Hours:||Quarterly meetings of 2 -3 hours plus preparation time and one annual full day meeting|
|Closing date:||Monday 6th March|
Shared Lives Plus is the UK membership charity for more than 6,000 Shared Lives carers, 150 Shared Lives schemes, and a growing network of over 25 local Homeshare organisations. Our vision is a kinder, stronger society built on sharing our lives and our homes. We help build communities where everyone lives a full life, regardless of the support they need. We do this by turning Shared Lives, and Homeshare into thriving, mainstream options, with all the right structures in place to support and guide those who want to share their lives and homes. We want to reduce loneliness and help make our communities more connected. We offer guidance, best practice, legal and insurance advice to a community of people sharing their lives.
Shared Lives Plus is an Equal Opportunities organisation and we are committed to ensuring that all trustees are motivated, skilled and rewarded by their work. We welcome applicants regardless of race, religion or belief, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age and other protected status as required by law. We promote and protect human rights; they are the foundation of what we do.
We want to be an inclusive place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and contribute their unique strengths and perspectives. We are focused on equality and believe that all the fascinating characteristics that make us different, make us more able to deliver our life-changing work with passion and creativity.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of Shared Lives Plus and Homeshare UK, developing the aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, legal and regulatory guidelines.
Each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve:
- Reading and assimilating board papers
- Leading discussions
- Focusing on key issues
- Compliance – ensuring that the organisation complies with guidelines and legislation
- Monitoring the financial position and ensuring that we operate within our means with clear lines of accountability and financial management ensuring financial stability
- Providing guidance and direction on new initiatives
- Strategic decision making – providing strategic direction and decision making by supporting the development of policies, goals and targets
- Maintaining the good name of the organisation
- Other issues in which the trustee has special expertise
The overarching objectives of this role include:
- To ensure that Shared Lives Plus and Homeshare UK and its representatives’ function within the legal and regulatory framework in line with the governing document, with special reference to the charitable objectives, continually striving for best the practice in governance
- To uphold the fiduciary duty invested in the position, undertaking such duties in a way continually striving for best practice in governance that adds to public confidence and trust in the Shared Lives Plus and Homeshare UK
- To determine the overall direction and development of Shared Lives Plus and Homeshare UK through good governance and clear strategic planning
- Ensuring Shared Lives Plus and Homeshare UK comply with statutory legislation
Main duties and responsibilities
- Ensuring Shared Lives Plus complies with legislative and regulatory requirements and acts within the confines of the governing document and in furtherance to the activities contained therein
- Acting in the best interest of Shared Lives Plus and Homeshare UK, members and future members at all times
- Promoting and developing Shared Lives Plus and Homeshare UK in order for it to grow and maintain its relevance to society
- Agree the financial budget for a minimum of twelve months and set a reserves policy which is regularly monitored
- Maintaining sound financial management of the charity’s resources, ensuring expenditure is in line with Shared Lives Plus objects and any investment activities meet accepted standards and policies
- To conduct an annual review of the Risk Register with an action plan formulated to reduce high risk areas
- Interviewing, appointing and monitoring the work and activities of the Chief Executive Officer plus reviewing the work of the senior management team
- Ensuring the effective and efficient administration of Shared Lives Plus
- Acting as a counter-signatory on Shared Lives Plus cheques, electronic payments authoriser and any applications for funds, if and when required
- To maintain absolute confidentiality about all sensitive/confidential information received in the course of trustee’s responsibilities to Shared Lives Plus
- Not to receive any personal benefit or profit from the position of trustee
- To develop a tailored training plan with the Chair to enable you to function as a Trustee of Shared Lives Plus
|Experience and Skills||
Values and behaviours
Shared Lives Plus considers its culture to be a supportive, encouraging and empowering one. The culture is based on our values – these are listed below along with we feel this would look like for this role:
- sees honesty and visibility within the organisation as important
- delivers on promises
- builds relationships
- is a people person, warm, reflective, approachable, personable
- genuinely takes an interest in people, gives time as freely as possible, encouraging
- is able to identify and acknowledge personal knowledge gaps
Sense of Purpose
- acts professionally and leads by example in accordance with our Values and Behaviours, Human Rights, Equality and Diversity.
- is strategic and consultative, seeking and incorporating others’ opinions, (internal and external)
- is inquisitive
- gets the best out of people
- Excellent communicator at all levels
Zest & Energy
- has infectious enthusiasm and drive, inspiring, someone people are proud to work for/alongside
- has an understanding of what’s needed now and vision for the future, embraces change
- is creative/innovative and can demonstrate and share success
- has an appetite for learning and determination for the development of the organisation even when the field is much bigger than us
Please submit your CV along with a supporting statement based on all the details in the role description and person specification telling us why you feel you’re the person for us to email@example.com.
The closing date is: 12 Noon on Monday 6th March
An informal chat with the Chair, the CEO and other trustees will be in early March with a more formal interview taking place at the end of March. The first meeting to join will then be in June.
You can find out more about what it means to work at Shared Lives Plus via this link Working for Shared Lives Plus – Shared Lives Plus
More information about Homeshare UK and our network of providers can be found on the Homeshare UK website. www.homeshareuk.org