“You cannot believe the difference that it makes just hearing somebody in the house. Hearing movement upstairs and knowing that it’s not someone breaking in or something like that. The best thing about it is somebody coming in and that key in the door round about six o’clock.” Homeshare Householder in London.
There has been a lot of work going on over the past few months to bring Homeshare to Scotland. We have been working with the voluntary sector, local authorities and other interested organisations to introduce the concept of Homeshare. We have run workshops for interested organisations, spoken at meetings of the voluntary sector and engaged with potential Homesharers to help develop an understanding of the benefits of Homeshare to communities all across Scotland.
We need to let even more people know about Homeshare and the amazing benefits that it has for individuals across generations, communities and for providers of services. Did you know that Homeshare can:
- Increase social interaction by helping two people to share their lives.
- Prevent loneliness and feelings of isolation for both the householder and the sharer.
- Enable householders to keep their independence through low-level support and companionship
- Give key workers, students and people who are looking explore shared living access to company and affordable accommodation
- Help to keep people in their local communities
- Offer low level support which means that many people do not need to access social care or delay that access.
- Can also provide peace of mind for families and friends who may be worried about someone living alone
Homeshare is growing UK wide with schemes being developed in Wales and Northern Ireland and we want to see it grow and thrive in Scotland too. In last year the number of people using Homeshare has risen by 3% despite the restrictions of the pandemic.
We think that Homeshare is a great way for people to stay independent and connected and we want to see it reach across communities in Scotland.
“It feels like I’m living in a home rather than just a faceless house with numerous tenants coming and going. It’s been great to build up a relationship with someone who cares about how I feel and what I’ve been doing” Homeshare Homesharer in Manchester.
If you are interested in hearing more about the benefits of Homeshare get in contact with me, contact Tina Morrow, Scotland Development Officer, [email protected], 07525234698.
We are thrilled that, thanks to funding from Ecclesiastical Movement for Good we will be supporting the development of Homeshare in Scotland during 2021/2022.
Offering the opportunity for two individuals to share their lives and their homes, Homeshare breaks down loneliness and isolation across generations. Typically it supports older people to live in their own homes for longer and younger people to access affordable accommodation, with both sharing aspects of their lives for mutual benefit.
To get the programme off of the ground in the next 12 months we will be:
- working with groups of older and young people, commissioners and delivery partners to develop feasibility studies in three areas of Scotland
- creating a network of Homeshare champions in Scotland to promote the concept of Homeshare and act as ambassadors for the model.
Following the delivery of the feasibility studies we will work with organisations to:
- develop a Homeshare model that works for them
- identify funding streams to help the start up of their Homeshare model
- develop their own five year delivery plans
- join the Homeshare UK Network
We held a well attended initial online event on the 29th April for anyone interested in the benefits Homeshare could bring to their organisation, areas and local communities. We are grateful to those that came and for the enthusiasm and motivation they showed for the project.
A follow up event looking at practicalities of setting up and running a Homeshare programme, which will be held on 10th June.
If you would like to attend this session or hear more about our development plans for Scotland, please contact Tina Morrow, Scotland Homeshare Development Officer on 07525234698 or [email protected]